The natural beauty and diversity of the Mad River Valley make it the perfect vacation spot and the perfect home for the Eagles Resort. Located in the heart of Vermont and surrounded by the Green Mountains, the Valley is well known for its small village towns, winding country roads, and spectacular mountain views.
No matter what the season, the Mad River Valley is a true delight. Come for the wide open meadows; sparkling mountain streams; lush green hills; the red, orange, and gold of autumn foliage; and deep, winter snowfall. Few areas remain as unspoiled and peaceful, while offering world-class resort accommodations, exquisite dining, and great recreation.
Activities abound with something for everyone, from the country lover seeking outdoor relaxation to sports enthusiasts hoping to be seriously challenged. Kids of all ages can have great fun learning new activities or improving their skills in old favorites, from hiking to kayaking, horseback riding to soaring. The opportunities are endless.
Check out the Discovery Map for the Mad River Valley
Winter comes early to the Mad River Valley where the mountain tops may turn white in late October. Excellent skiing is ready available at two famed resorts, Sugarbush and Mad River Glen.
Sugarbush Resort, located less than six miles from the Eagles, usually opens by early December. Here you’ll find some of the best downhill skiing in the East. The terrain ranges from steeps, glades, and tree runs to intermediate slopes for schussing and cruising. Two 4,000’ mountains with 112 trails are serviced by 18 lifts and 70 percent snowmaking. Sugarbush is also renowned for its excellent ski school, and some of the youngest and oldest skiers command the trails here.
Mad River Glen Ski Area, on the slopes of General Stark Mountain, is legendary for its old-fashioned, natural snow trails and “Ski It If You Can” motto. With 44 marked trails and unlimited off-trail options, beginners and experts alike can experience skiing in the beautiful and pristine environment of this unique mountain resort. Mad River Glen is just five miles from Eagles.
• BIKING – Mountain trail, off trail, or road touring
• CANOEING & KAYAKING – On the Mad River or nearby lakes; lessons & rentals available
• FISHING – Fresh water mountain streams & rivers
• HIKING – The Appalachian Trail or any number of recreational trails perfect for all skill levels
• HORSEBACK RIDING – Down a country road or over woodland trails, the Icelandic Horse Farm can accommodate all riding abilities.
• GLIDER RIDES – Soar over the Mad River Valley for the thrill of a lifetime
• GOLFING – Beautiful mountain views and great golf on the course at Sugarbush, designed by Robert Trent Jones, Sr.
• CULTURE – Performing Arts, Exhibits & Workshops – In town, across the meadows & on the mountains
• SHOPPING – Antiques; art; handmade furniture, clothing, & jewelry; crafts; specialty foods; sports equipment, clothing & accessories
• SKIING – Alpine & cross country
• SNOWMOBILING – Nearby
• SWIMMING – Poolside or in one of the many favorite swimming holes in the beautiful Mad River